Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Making a Chicken Tractor from Re-Purposed Items

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that I'm really big on re-purposing, recycling, and reusing items and materials. I love the cost savings and positive impact on our environment. So when I told my husband I wanted to move the chickens out of their run-down smelly coop and put them in a chicken tractor, he was a bit confused but soon got the picture. So he, also of the thrifty and gifted-in-reuse mind, made one for me!

 Our "tractor" was made using an old Little Tykes playhouse that the kids had long ago abandoned for the coop. He also attached a set of old training wheels. We'll need to find some bigger ones eventually, but they work for now. He also used pallet wood and chicken wire from the old coop to cover the windows, as we don't want our girls tangling with the cats or cars! The caging uses plastic netting left over from my drying rack and carbon fiber rods he salvaged from his work. Not everyone can get the carbon fiber rods, but I've seen people use PVC pipes in much the same way.
He created the frame work and used reinforced carbon tape for the joints, then covered it with electrical tape. (The tape had to be purchased, as did wire ties for attaching the netting to the frame. But it was minimal at about $6 for everything!)

The girls are loving all the crunchy bugs, the fresh green grasses, and access to more area! They haven't given me any eggs yet today, so I'll have to figure out a nesting box inside the coop. They're good and usually give me 4-5 a day, one per gal! Hubs said he'd make another one if I want more chickens. Hmmm...maybe   I'll be looking for a used playhouse soon. :O

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...