Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2015

A look back and a glance ahead!

2014 was a really good year for me. I didn't mean most of my resolutions, but who does? I did, however, learn to use a spindle and I spun some yarn with it. I decided that I really want to work with a wheel. I don't think the spindle and I get along too well.

I have decided that I will just let the year carry me through and not forget to try new things and do more stuff that makes me happy. The only thing my heart is really pushing for is to continue working on this blog, reading my Bible daily, and being more involved in helping others. And with that I will include helping animals as well.

I started the day out yesterday making some scrap pillows for shelter/rescue cats. I ended up with 12 of them before I had to stop for the day. Basically, I'm just stitching together some squares from fabric I need to use up and stuffing them with strips of t-shirt materials from the quilts I've made. They're not the fanciest, but I think the kitties will like them!


I also finished up a fair isle knit sweater I've been working on since December 6. My daughter really wanted a pair of fingerless mitts because her hands stay cold. I found an amazing pattern on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fingerless-gloves-musica. I was always a little hesitant about doing color work of any kind, especially fair isle. The look has always appealed to me, but dropping one yarn, picking, up another, working a few stitches, repeating the process sounded boring and intimidating. Now, though, I had to try it. 

I picked up continental knitting while working my two-at-a-time hats . So I used the technique of holding one yarn in one hand and another in the other hand and I did it! I made another set for a friend and then a third set with a different pattern for my daughter's boyfriend. 


So what comes after knitting 3 pairs of fingerless mitts? Why, a sweater, of course! So that's what I did. I had been eyeing a pattern by Natalie Moreva for months. Her foxy sweater was gorgeous, and I wanted one. So I made one. I finished it with about 35 minutes to spare last year. So I think I will revamp my original resolutions and say that I was successful at learning to fair isle knit and add it to my repertoire of knitting skills! 


So what did you learn this year? Were you successful with any resolutions? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...